Built for the Denbighshire Militia Regiment as a barracks in 1857. They were designed by local architect Thomas Penson and built from Cefn sandstone.
The barracks moved to a new headquarters on Kingsmill Road (also grade II listed) in 1877 and the Regent Street premises were converted in to a police station and law court. The police vacated the premises in 1976 and the courts in 1977 following the completion of their new buildings in Bodhyfryd. The building served as an art college for twenty years before being taken over as Wrexham Museum in 1996. The building has since been extensively refurbished.
This fine neo-gothic church was designed by Edward Welby Pugin, the son of renowned Victorian architect Augustus Welby Pugin, best known for his work on the Houses of Parliament in London. Its construction was financed by Richard Thompson, the owner of the Ffrwd Colliery, as a memorial to his wife Ellen whose tomb lies inside. On its completion in 1857, it served as the Catholic parish church for Wrexham. In 1907 the church became a pro-cathedrial following the formation of the new diocese of Menevia. In 1987, the church became a cathedral, following the creation of the new diocese of Wrexham.
The boundary wall and gates and the adjoining presbytery, built at the same time as the cathedral, are also grade II listed.
The presbytery was built in 1857, at the same time as St Mary's RC Cathedral and is linked to it at ground floor level. Like the cathedral, the presbytery was designed by Edward Welby Pugin in the gothic style.
The presbytery is the home of the dean of St Mary's.
Built as the Wrexham Infirmary in 1838-9 to replace Wrexham's previous hospital, known as the Dispensary, which had been founded six years previously, in Yorke Street. The building was designed by Edward Welch of Liverpool and the handsome stone facade was financed by the hospital's physician Thomas Taylor Griffith.
The building was extended and added to several times in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Eventually it was thought that the hospital had outgrown the site and an entirely new hospital was required. The Wrexham & East Denbighshire Memorial Hospital opened in 1926 and the Regent Street site was closed.
In 1927 the building was used to house the newly established Denbighshire Technical College. When the college moved to it's new campus on Mold Road in the 1950s, the building continued to house it's art department. This arrangement has been continued by its successor institutions, NEWI (1975-2008), and since 2008, Glyndwr University.
This building was erected in about 1850 and is a good example of an early Victorian town house. Now in use as an office.
The station was built in the 1880s by the Great Western Railway to replace the original station from the 1840s. Apart from some extensions made in 1909-12, the 1880s building survives largely in its original condition.
A major restoration was carried out in the 1990s and the station was officially reopened in April 1998.